“Most likely to….”

I guess it’s sentimentality, but during the holidays, before I go back to Hendersonville, I pull out my high school yearbooks. I look at our young faces and remember all the crazy, fun, exciting times we had.

This year, when I got to the superlatives, I stopped. I really thought about this “Most…” label. And then I realized something. By putting that label on people, we weren’t helping anyone, not the ones labeled nor the ones un-labeled.

For “the cutest,” “the funniest,” “the most intellectual”: did that over-focus them on one part of themselves and discourage them from exploring other aspects of their identity? From learning about other strengths?

For those who were not on these pages: did it plant seeds of doubt? Did they say to themselves: Am I good at anything? Do I have any strengths?

I strongly believe that everyone has a unique constellation of gifts to share with the world. Things we take for granted. Things we do all the time. It is a shame when others don’t see our gifts. It’s more of a shame when we don’t see them in ourselves.

So, here’s what I would like you to do this week: find one gift you have and tell me what it is. What is the thing you are “Most likely” to do? You can email it to me (donnab99@aol.com) or post it on my Facebook page. I am creating a “Most likely to…” list – and everyone will be on it.